[thelist] is the web-safe palete dead?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Mar 25 19:46:01 CST 2002

IMHO sticking to the 216 was and still is a dumbed down solution. The
issue was, and still is: being aware of which of 256 colors a color
is going to resolve to on a 256 color system ... and how that color
is going to look along side any dithered graphics.

I put in a bid fairly recently for an organization ... I'd put
together a quick demo and was horrified when I showed it to them:
everybody saw the web through a terminal server, which I think was
running at 16 colors. That may be my memory exaggerating, but it was
no more than 256, and my demo, although readable, looked awful.

This is kinda cool:
http://www.morecrayons.com/

>I haven't been paying that much attention, and I only recently joined this
>list, so I'm assuming this has been hashed and rehashed, but it's a changing
>issue and even Lynda Weinman says it's not important anymore for most
>situations:

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/