[thelist] Search Engine Hell

Marcia Welter mhwelter at welterweb.com
Tue Mar 26 17:05:09 CST 2002

Get rid of the question marks in URLs, rewrite them to flat HTML pages (with
no duplicates showing) and put in text links using keywords in the link text
if you can - search engines don't read Javascript.

Instead of having the scripting in that page's code, put it in external
linked files to lighten the code vs. visible text ratio. That's one of the
advantages of externally linked stylesheets too, BTW.

Are there any inbound links? If not, start getting some good ones that
relate to the theme of the site. And get some directory listings - ODP most
important, I'd go for Yahoo regional also on that one, unless there's a
mail-order meals on wheels type thingie. I'm not personally too crazy about
Looksmart (I think they're greedy and unscrupulous), but for some sites it's
good - depends on the category.

Consider some PTP listings for the client if you want to show them some
traffic in a hurry. www.freeserve.co.uk (redirects to the com for us Yanks)
is now using Inktomi results via Overture, Google database, and Google
adwords with has two types of programs - those are the green boxes on the
right. I'd do Google Adwords and check out the PPC pricing on Overture
listings - also now used by AOL, MSN, may others. Get them some quick
traffic so they stay happy.

ODP is CRITICALLY important, and I'd do Yahoo in this case without any
hesitation.

BEATIFUL site - wish I had that kind of design talent. I'm Plain Jane, feed
the spiders but certainly no eye candy.

Marcia
www.welterweb.com

http://www.barnacles.org.uk to submit to any of them??

It has been suggested that it is since it is PHP dynamically assembled ...
take a look guys, any help would be beneficial...

General comments re: site also appreciated