[thelist] targeting K-12 effectively

Tamara Abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Tue Mar 26 22:17:58 CST 2002

At 12:03 PM 3/26/2002 -0900, David McCreath wrote:
>The problem is that it varies dramatically from district to district and
>  even from school to school within those districts. But I can give you
>some specific numbers for my district. We're one of the 50 largest
>districts in the US, in one of the most wired states in the country. We
>have 90+ schools in the Anchorage School District, with just under
>50,000 students, about 3,000 teachers and another 3-5,000
>support/adminstrative personnel.

The state itself also jumps into the mix. A few years ago I reported on a
school district that actively pursued some state technology grants. They
won the grants, bought hundreds of PC's that sat in boxes for months since
there was no way the *IT* staff could install and network them right away.

The computers they bought were all pretty modern at the time since a member
of their board of education was a sysadmin for an outside firm and helped
guide them with the purchase.

That district also won a grant for a wireless intra/internet set up a few
years back. That was pretty interesting too. So, school districts have a
lot of things going on -- private donations, grants, state and federal
grants and the competence of the school board and administration to find
opportunities.

I'm so glad I don't report on school districts anymore -- they're actually
quite complicated here in Illinois, USA.

<t />