[thelist] Custom CMS

Ken Kogler ken at kenkogler.com
Wed Mar 27 20:26:00 CST 2002

> hmmm... well, how about this:
>
> script:
>
> template code
>
> read in content from file on content edit mapped drive
>
> template code
> template code
> template code

That's what I'm saying, too...

> the only disadvantage (well, the *main* one) is that you don't have
> control over what they slap into their content files. furthermore, if
> they're using a WYSIWYG editor, you're gonna have to regexp
> out just the
> stuff between <body></body>

Yeah, that would work, but if the fac/staff is using client side editors
(probably FP) then they're not going to want to have to run their html
files through my regex script. They'd be working on files directly in
live webspace.

> i think it would fit better with your
> situation to read in the app content into different templates:
>
> freshman app template -> reads in ../editable/application.htm
> transfer app template -> reads in ../editable/application.htm

Yeah, that's what someone else here said, too... It's just that the
sheer volume of files that "share" content like this is staggering...
Way over 2,500, which makes the admin of a system like this both
time-consuming and ridiculous.

> i got the impression that the university didn't think a
> web-based editor would be ideal.

Bingo. But I think they're wrong in this, and I'm trying to form an
argument to prove my point.

> >Setting up a system like the
> >article submission thingy on evolt should be more that sufficient.
>
> except we don't have an html editor interface

Duly noted. I didn't explain myself too clearly on this point... I was
referring to the fact that the fac/staff could learn approx 10 html tags
and just do it all themselves. Might be easier to train them on that
than on FP.

> >So how do I convince The Powers That Be that an online
> web-based editor
> >is 1,000 times better than letting users use FP? I need ammo, people.
>
> i'm not sure it is. have you talked to the faculty and staff to get an
> idea of which would be better for them? if not, that would be a good
> idea. you may or may not be barking up the wrong tree.

This sounds cold, but the fac/staff will do whatever the administration
of the school tells them to do. Unfortunately, they really aren't
allowed any input in this matter... I'm in the unique position to make
sure the admin makes the right choice, which in turn makes the fac/staff
happy. (Note: This insanity is why I'll never work in higher-ed!)

Thanks for the input, Matt.

-Ken Kogler