[thelist] Custom CMS

Rachel Cunliffe rachel at cre8d-design.com
Wed Mar 27 20:42:01 CST 2002

Hi Ken,

In my experience, it's *far* easier to explain half a dozen tags than train
them on FP/DW/PageMill etc.
Even if you train them in a program, I have found that they will often
choose to stick with MSWord (as they are using it constantly for other work
and know it inside-out) and copy and paste in (or worse, "Save as HTML").

* Basic html formatting tags are quite intuitive and easily learnt
* There are too many features in WYSIWYG editors for what they need it gives
them too much freedom too easily
 "ooh, I can change the link to pink" -- leaves the *design* ideally to the
designer
* Pressing delete accidentally, and then saving and uploading (without
realising a layout section is gone), happened so often, the pages were
pretty shocking.

HTH,
Rachel

> In your opinion, is it easier to train the staff on a few basic html tags,
or allow them the freedom of a client side editor?