[thelist] Normalize mysql php

Russell Griechen russgri at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 27 23:00:08 CST 2002

Assuming that Contact table would serve:
Owners, Breeders, Hunters, Historians, Ancestors, Senators,
Representatives, Stockmen, 4Hers, Bull Riders, Jockeys, and a myriad of
mankind:
Please comment on Normalization.
I just barely can spel redundant but some hillbilly said it was
important not to.

ContactID
FirstN,MidN,LastN,Suffix,Cityid,Stateid,Zip_Codepk,Addr1,Addr2,Other

Cityid pk
CityName

Stateid pk
Statename

Assnid
Assn  (Associations)

Trials/Showsid
Trials/Show

Houndsid
HoundName
Registry# /*Date to be a Timestamp?...reflecting yyyymmdd001 to infinity
refecting how many hounds born on that date*/
IFSB#
SFSB#
UKC#
AKC#
Whelping Date /*Is there such a thing as Dateid (linking table)*/
Sire   (houndid)
Dam   (houndid)
Owner (contactid)
Breeder  (contactid)
Colorid   (20+ color combinations)
/*I have developed a CSS file that will display hound names in a
heirarchial display to display a pedigree. My hope is to be able to use
only the Sireid and Damid to present 5 generations???*/

Thanks for the advice
So reflecting what advice I have received to date:

Assuming that the Contact table would be used for:
Owners, Breeders, Sportsmen, Ancestors, Associations, and a myriad of
other categories of mankind, would the  following normalization be
prudent?

ContactID
FirstN,MidN,LastN,Suffix,Cityid,Stateid,Zip_Code_pk,Addr1,Addr2,Other

Cityid pk
CityName
/*?? What about Norwood, MO...Norwood, MA*/

Stateid pk
Statename

Assnid
Assn  (Associations)

Trials/Showsid
Trials/Show

Houndsid
Registry# /*Date to be a Timestamp?...reflecting yyyymmdd001 to infinity
refecting how many hounds born on that date*/
IFSB#
SFSB#
UKC#
AKC#
Whelping Date /*Is there such a thing as Dateid (linking table)*/
Sire   (houndid)
Dam   (houndid)
Owner (contactid)
Breeder  (contactid)
Colorid   (20+ color combinations)
/*I have developed a CSS file that will display hound names in a
heirarchial display to display a pedigree. My hope is to be able to use
only the Sireid and Damid to present 5 generations???*/

Colorid
Colorname/*I have developed a CSS file that will display hound names in
heirarchial display to display a pedigree. My hope is to be able to use
only the Sireid and Damid to present 5 generations???*//*I have
developed a CSS file that will display hound names in a
heirarchial display to display a pedigree. My hope is to be able to use
only the Sireid and Damid to present 5 generations???*/

Wow I'm amazed and thankful for such help and advice
I thought I would attack this project piecemeal but that will not give a
clear view that will allow helpful comment without the full view.
I have a website at http://geocities.com/efoxfiles  a labor of love
So now it has become so detail intensive that I want to expand the scope
to include all field sports with a
Hunting...Foxhunting, Tree hunting Shooting Sports, Arena
Sports...rodeos, horse events, 4H, all linking to Contact table
Pedigrees...Hound,Whelping Date, Sire, Dam, Owner, Breeder... links to
Contact Table/zip/city/state/address
Timeline...back to Origin of each sport....all linking to Contact Table
Field Trial and Show Associations ...linking to Contact table

So I did not present the true picture as I was assuming that I could
piggyback all the tips and replicate them into a complete database.
Practically all cities and zip codes may have to be in linking tables
and the ID used in each category....So I know just enough to get me in
trouble.

So reflecting what advice I have received to date:
[Sportsmen] name to be registered of www

[...]

Russell Griechen