[thelist] Counting words on a site

Shaun Anderson shaunanderson at shaunanderson.info
Thu Mar 28 11:46:01 CST 2002

I've been asked to see if I can come up with a way of counting the number of
words on our German site.  They're going to send the English equivalent to
be translated into Japanese, and are trying to budget for it.

Has anybody ever tried to do this before?  It seems like it'll be pretty
tricky because I'd need to count words after they had been parsed by the
browser.  Then I was going to count every space that occurs by it's self.  I
know it's not perfect, but how off do you think it will be?

So the problem becomes "How do I get the browser parsed text only?"

Could I use a regular expression of some kind?

I'll be coding in ASP if it's possible.  If somebody knows of a program
that'll do it I'd be happy to use that.

Thanks,
Shaun Anderson