[thelist] Info for web tracking article needed

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 29 15:31:01 CST 2002

> From: "warbassedesign.com" <info at warbassedesign.com>
>
> I am writing an article on the benefits of Web Tracking.  I would like
> to focus on 'real' scenarios in which tracking user statistics has
> played a significant role in re-thinking UI or information
> architecture or some other aspect on a web site.  In a nutshell what I

is this restricted to purely what can be found in server logs?  or
does this include some real-life fact-finding on the part of the
developers... i ask this because...

Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part II
http://evolt.org/article/list/20/2297/

that article contains the window size, screen size, and bit depth of
1,000 users to my company site over a few month period (using
code from part 1)...  i used the numbers in planning updates,
redesigns, comparing to other sites i was developing, etc...

> would like to discuss (with examples if possible) are 1) what
> correlation can we make between certain stats and a user's behavior?

tracking their path in my current company website has caused me
to flesh out some sections, and move other around that i otherwise
might not have prioritized...

> 2) what type of  stats do you look for as an indication that your site
> is OR is not performing up to standards?  3) can we make correlation's

that's much harder... for client sites it's one thing, for my site, i do
know it's performing very well on my goal of increased SE ranking
and exposure...

> between certain stats and certain features on a site like content or
> navigation? Again, real examples would be much appreciated.  Thanks

yes, i did determine one of my sub-sites had enough higher-end
users to allow the use of DHTML menus, although without JS
enabled, the site still functions completely as intended...

i can probably think of more, but i gotta get a contract out the
door...