[thelist] @import CSS page, why?

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Sun Mar 31 18:34:01 CST 2002

At 03:50 PM 3/31/2002, you typed:

>I'am being told by a few visitors that a test page here
>http://www.ellenoire.com/finesoapnew.htm is stalling some older browsers on
>PC and Mac. So a friend recommend the use of the @import tag for CSS. What
>is the importance of it and what can I hope to achieve through it?

I think of it as a filter, in a way, since browsers like Netscape 4.x won't
read it. It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing deal, though, Peter. I use
it just for the CSS that Netscape 4 mucks up, for example. So most of the
CSS is still read by Netscape 4.x browsers, but Netscape won't choke or do
weird things to the rest.

Feel free to check out some resources at websitetips.com about it
<http://www.websitetips.com/css/>, and if you wish, you're welcome to check
out my source code at <http://www.brainstormsandraves.com> or
<http://www.skdesigns.com>, since I've used it at those two sites. Sites
can vary for their needs, and yours may have different needs from those,
but it may give you an idea, at least, of what I found problematic for
Netscape 4 with those particular layouts and thus dumped into the @import
style sheet. (I have 2 style sheets -- one main one and then the @import
one to hide that markup from Netscape 4).

If you have Netscape 4 loaded you can compare these two sites above and
probably see what I mean about certain things missing but much of the CSS
is still rendered.

Hope that helps for a start, Peter.

Warmly,
Shirley