[thelist] MS Doc File Format Specs?

Frank framar at interlog.com
Mon Apr 1 23:01:08 CST 2002

I've noticed a good deal of apps that can read and write MS Word,
Xcel, PPT (Office formats), that aren't necessarily MS partners (such
as SunOffice, or ThinkFree for example). I know that the RTF spec is
available, I was wondering if someone could point me to the specs for
.doc?

I've been Googling around quite a bit and can't seem to find it. Does
this mean that

1) MS distributes it's file format spec to selected people?
2) That I didn't user the right combination of search terms?
3) That Sun <gasp> reverse engineered the file format?

--

Our best destiny, as planetary cohabitants, is the development
of what has been called "species consciousness" - something over

Frank Marion                      Framar Studios
frank at framarstudios.com           http://www.framarstudios.com