[thelist] How do they do that then? (IHT.com)

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Tue Apr 2 03:07:01 CST 2002

Ben Henick wrote:

>The way in which John achieved the seemingly tight typesetting was to
>actually dig into individual paragraphs and use Array.split() on them.
>Given that he's dealing with body copy that's typically <1000 words in
>length, resource usage isn't a big deal in most cases.

Thanks for the info :)

I've got it pretty much figured out now, it's a very clever system. The
one last detail that's bugging me is the splitting in to paragraphs bit
- I've been through pretty much every bit of javascript on there (I even
ran a search for "split" in the files) but I can't see how he splits up
the pages. I'm guessing that the splitting is the reason he has this
code interspersed through his articles:

But I can't spot the code that splits stuff up based on that (or figure
out how he does the split in the first place).

Cheers,

Simon