[thelist] how "heavy" do you make each page?

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Tue Apr 2 07:46:01 CST 2002

David Prowak wrote:

>Do you have a rule of thumb for how large each page
>is when you DO NOT have a seperate page for low
>bandwidth and high bandwidth?

In principle I still stick to the 40KB (for everything) rule of thumb -
anything higher than that and modem users really start to suffer. In
practise though I'm lazy ;) Personally I tend to be completely immune to
slow loading pages as I use Mozilla with tab based browsing and always
load pages in the background in a new tab, so it doesn't matter how long
a page will take to load as I've got something else to read in the
meantime. This is great for browsing other people's sites but it does
mean I don't notice if my own pages are slow...