[thelist] Creating FTP Users with PHP

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Tue Apr 2 17:04:00 CST 2002

I just want to echo what Hans is suggesting here. Using PHP to insert a
username and password into a DB like MySQL and having you system stuff
read passwords from there instead of the local FS is a really nice idea.

The cool thing is most Unix daemons have some sort of hook in them to
read user authentication from a DB rather than /etc/passwd. Apache,
Proftpd, Postfix, POP3 servers,  most IMAP packages and a ton of other
things can all do this.. And they do it for a reason, its a good idea ;)

.djc.