[thelist] New site - Critique for look/feel/user experience (http://www.hughblair.com/)

lon.kraemer lwkraemer at directvinternet.com
Sun Apr 7 17:30:01 CDT 2002

Win2K/IE6

Now that you've changed 'style...' to 'page style', I get a horizontal
scroll bar at 800. Still no mouseover/cursor indication on the 1-4 styles.
(later, right?)

I'll just comment further on the style changer. I love the ability to select
a page style. But everytime I follow a link, I'm back at the default style
on the new page. Kind of defeats the purpose? Perhaps a cookie might be in
order, even if non-persistent, to stay with me throughout *my* session.

Actually, considering the commercial nature of the site, I'd be inclined to
just scrap the feature. You're a registrar, not a designer, so why
complicate the UI with features that are nonsequitar?

I guess I can say the same about .US news. At first I ignored it. The
heading and scrollable region suggested it was a news feed about the US.
Given the nature of your business, I would fill the main column (center)
with news about TLDs and use the right column for a brief pitch.

It just seems to me that you're overextending your scope. I showed your page
to my sister and she asked, "What is this about? What do they do? I replied
that they are a domain registrar. "Where do I type in the domain I want?
Dunno!

--
Lon Kraemer