[thelist] Thawte/other SSL

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Apr 8 10:54:00 CDT 2002

Erik Mattheis wrote:
> Anybody here had a good experience with a SSL certificate provider
> other than Verisign?
>
> How long is the expected wait for Verisign?

I have really enjoyed working with Thawte even after they got bought by
Verisign.  Much less expensive and much better customer service in my
experience.

As to how long it takes, it depends on how complicated your setup is.
If you are based in the US and the registration name on your domain
exactly matches the company name on your articles of incorporation, then
it should be a matter of less than a week.  The part that takes awhile
is getting all the documentation together, reviewing it, calling the
Secretary of State's office, etc.  If that goes easy everything goes
quickly.

Once you've done one cert and the documentation is on file, then
subsequent certs go quickly.  I've had a pretty common experience with
48 hour turn arounds.

Judah