[thelist] Downloading multiple documents through an IE browser with one request?

Loren Hadley loren.hadley at verizon.net
Mon Apr 8 11:47:00 CDT 2002

We've developed an Extranet site where users can download zipped
archives of technical documentation for a variety of products.  Users
select a product from a menu and have the option of downloading
individual .pdf format documents or a zipped archive with all of the
documents available for the product.  This works smoothly.  Now however,
they want to be able to choose from a menu and select multiple archives
for download at one time (rather than selecting one product at a time.)
We envision doing this by providing a menu of all available products by
category with a check box by each product title.  Users could select all
the products they desired information on then submit the order.

So far, no problem - What we are not sure of is how to get the browser
to download multiple documents with one request.  Content and
distribution are managed by a database server.  Is it possible to get a
browser - particularly IE 4 + versions (it's a closed network with
everyone on IE) to accept a queue of documents for download from a
single request?  We are interested in any approaches, ideas or insights
that will help us achieve this end.

Loren