[thelist] My own tags

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Tue Apr 9 08:12:01 CDT 2002

[snip]
In a standard HTML file, is there anything wrong with using my own tags, for
example <insert text here>, </insert text here>?  I realise it probably
won't validate, but the page is for internal use only, and so should be
outside the 'normal' useability rules (ok, that last point is a little
controversial).

But in theory, I can just add tags willy-nilly - the HTML parser will only
work with the ones it understands, right? (like <strong>, <p>, etc)
[/snip]

Sounds like.....XML :)

But you're right, you can add tags willy-nilly and those "extraneous" tags
should be ignored (a quick check in IE6 on XP and NN4.7 on Linux revealed
this to be OK). I would check in muliple browsers if you are going to run
into them locally to make sure no problems occur. Also, make sure to
document the tags for consistency of use.

Just curious, why wouldn't you use <!--comment--> tags?

Jay