[thelist] My own tags

Mark Limburg mlimburg at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 9 08:13:01 CDT 2002

Howdy,

Michael Galvin wrote:
> In a standard HTML file, is there anything wrong with using my own tags, for
> example <insert text here>, </insert text here>?  I realise it probably
> won't validate, but the page is for internal use only, and so should be
> outside the 'normal' useability rules (ok, that last point is a little
> controversial).
>
> But in theory, I can just add tags willy-nilly - the HTML parser will only
> work with the ones it understands, right? (like <strong>, <p>, etc)

It's hard to reply *intelligently* as I don't know the end use of the
system.  I've been part of a backend development which used custom tags,
but these were written as

   <!-- TAGNAME (: ATTRIBUTES) -->

and then this page was parsed by a perl script to compile this into
readable web pages.

Of course, if you were to create your own tags, you would need a
browsing technology able to render them also.