[thelist] monthly logs linux/apache

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 9 15:27:02 CDT 2002

Heya John :)

Your best bet would be to use the 'logrotate' command, but if thats not
possible..
Heres a little bash script, which is *not* well written, that I use to
do something similar, a bit of changing should work for you:

#!/bin/bash
date=`date +%b-%Y`

if [ -t 0 ] #input is term
then
	/path/to/apache/bin/apachectl stop
	mv /home/user/log/access_log /home/user/log/access_log_$date
	/path/to/apache/bin/apachectl start
else
	echo "problemo!"
fi

again, just an example, and would need to be written better, but hth!

.djc.