[thelist] HTML Email Solutions

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Wed Apr 10 16:53:01 CDT 2002

Samir,

> Friends don't let friends send HTML email.

    Jim asked a very reasonable question about HTML email. IMO, although its
use is easily and often abused, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with
HTML email, as your response would seem to suggest.
    I guess this is a bit of a rant, but I tire of web professionals
attempting to dictate to others in absolute terms that implementing x (e.g.,
HTML email, frames, tables, the marquee element) is bad and a clear sign of
an unprofessional. In my experience, each of these has its place if
implemented intelligently and appropriately, with an awareness of potential
drawbacks.
    It _is_ appropriate for a respondent to point out these drawbacks when
the question is raised, especially if the one who asks appears unaware of
the drawbacks. But a responsible developer shouldn't have to apologize or
grovel when asking a reasonable question in order to avoid such reflexive
criticism.
    Fortunately, there's a lot less of this sort of thing on thelist than in
many other corners of the web, but this seemed to be one of those cases.

<tip type="Microsoft KnowledgeBase Updates" author="James Aylard">

     If you work with any Microsoft products or technologies, or just want
to know about the latest support issues with IE, there is a free service
available that will notify you of any new or updated Microsoft KnowledgeBase
articles in the categories of your choice. This is a non-Microsoft service
named KBAlertz which has a fully searchable web site and provides updates by
email (with the option of choosing text or HTML format). Typically the
service sends an email once a day in a digest format.

http://www.kbalertz.com/

</tip>

James Aylard