[thelist] perl droplet (.exe) problem

Sam sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Apr 10 21:00:14 CDT 2002

I've been playing with perl2exe, trying to make a droplet from a script
- a stand-alone app that I can drag and drop files/folders onto and it
will do stuff to them. I'm primarily focussing on win32 platform, that
doesn't necessarily have perl installed.

I've had some success, and some failure. The dropped files turn up as
filename in @ARGV, so that's all good. But right now my main sticking
point is figuring out where the script is, so I can calculate paths
relative to that location. I've been using FindBin.pm to try and figure
out where the script is being run from, and that works great as a .pl,
but when I make the .exe, it (perl2exe) seems to hard-code the location
of the original script (.pl) in there. So when I move the exe, and have
it tell me where it is, it still reports the pathname of the .pl at the
time when it was created.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I want to be able to distribute
a script to colleagues without them having to set up perl. And this
model seems like a good one.. if it would work.

Perhaps there's another way to achieve the same thing? I've heard a
little about a similar utility that ActiveState distribute, part of a
commercial package as far as I can tell. Is that better? Any other
thoughts?

(i know this is a very perl-for-win32 ish question, and I can take it
over there if necessary)

thanks
Sam