[thelist] RE: CF Mail Error

ADOLPH TRUDEAU ATRUDEAU at NMSSLONESTAR.org
Thu Apr 11 10:46:01 CDT 2002

Hi guys,

I got a good off list reply on how to diagnose the problem I am having with
using CFMAIL to certain domains, so I thought I would follow-up on list in
case anyone else was curious. Sending email via cfmail is pretty critical to
my organization, because it is a high-volume charity fundraising website
(www.ms150.org): if a fundraiser doesn't find out via email that a donation
happened, they get mad at me because they could wind up not thanking
someone, etc.

After a mysterious phone call suggestion and doing a little research, I
found that some email services, like qmail, have an issue with how older
versions of CF interact with them:
http://webforums.macromedia.com/coldfusion/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=
202484&highlight_key=y&keyword1=email&keyword2=line%20feed

This follows my testing: a user was able to receive an email from an asp
based script on the site, but was unable to receive emails from the cf based
scripts. I found that my ISP was one of the affected (different domain from
the user) and could duplicate the error.

Solutions:
1. Upgrade to CF 5: I'm placing a support ticket with the managed hosting
facility. This may take a while, etc.

2. Use the line feed/carriage return script found in the CF support form: I
tried this but haven't been able to get it to work. I also have not been
able to successfully send a single line message that should work, i.e.
<cfmail ...>example</cfmail>.

3. Use ASP email: This may be the best (fastest/easiest) way to get it done.
I am experimenting with calling an asp email script using a CFHTTP call.

TIA again for y'all's assistance,
Adolph

--
Adolph R. Trudeau