[thelist] hosting html-images only

noah noah at tookish.net
Thu Apr 11 15:48:01 CDT 2002

At 04:16 PM 11/04/2001, PeterV wrote:
>I'm looking to host my images and
>mediafiles on a separate server, a cheap one where I only need to be able
>to set up a domain and FTP images and HTML. No PHP, no mysql, no telnet,
>don't need nothing like that, just pure FTP.

This is something I've considered for similar reasons. I haven't done
anything so far, because I'm hesitant to put separate parts of the same
site on two independent servers. If the server you're using now is
unreachable, say, 0.5% of the time (I just pulled that number out of the
air, I have no idea what typical downtime might be), and the server you
host your images on (since it's cheaper) is unreachable 1% of the time,
then isn't your site going to be down 1.5% of the time?

Obviously a well-built site will probably be usable without the images, but
that doesn't mean it's okay for them just not to show up.

I don't know for sure that it's a bad idea, it's just something I've been
thinking about.

Cheers,
Noah