[thelist] Redoing a site's design from the grounds up

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 21:20:01 CDT 2002

double reply...

>From: <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com>
[...]
> I think it's the same approach for each, but with different answers to
> the following question: 1) Who is my audience? 2) After visiting my
> site, what do I want them to
>     a) Feel?
>     b) Think?
>     c) Do?
>
> For a personal site, the answers are probably along the lines of: a)
> That you're someone to be trusted (in $field) b) (i)That you know your
> stuff in $field
>     (ii) That your point of view on $subject is the correct one
> c) Depends - for some it will be to hire you, for others it will be to
>    adopt your point of view, for others it will be to get in contact
>    for the purposes of networking...
[...]
> From: "DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR"
> <stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com>
[...]
> It was kind of an open question, both design-wise (how can one
> differentiate between corporate and personal site) and feature-wise
> (waht would you do/not do on a personal site).
[...]

for my site, i did much less analysis than martin performed...  i had a few
simple goals:
- i had to like its look...
- it had to not embarrass me (either code or function)...
- it had to be cake to maintain...
- it would be nice if it showed my technical ability...

as for differentiating between corporate and personal, it comes down to
goals... a personal site has (generally) a much different goal... PR, branding,
etc. are all there, but not to the same level...  instead, insight into the person
as a human often replaces the sterile corporate PC approach to content...

at least for me...