[thelist] Google APIs beta released

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Fri Apr 12 04:23:01 CDT 2002

Nick Wilson wrote:

>* and then Madhu Menon declared....
>
>><quote>
>>
>>With the Google Web APIs service, software developers can query more
>>than 2
>>billion web documents directly from their own computer programs. Google
>>uses the SOAP and WSDL standards so a developer can program in his or her
>>favorite environment - such as Java, Perl, or Visual Studio .NET.
>>
>></quote>
>>

>Be a lot more use if you could use PHP or ASP to interact with it, I'm
>not all that clear on SOAP but I believe the above languages could
>interface with it?

SOAP is an XML protocol that's transmitted over HTTP so any language
that can handle HTTP requests should be able to access SOAP - although
obviously it's made a lot easier if the language has a SOAP module of
some sort to do the hard work for you. I found a SOAP module for PHP on
PEAR:

http://cvs.php.net/cvs.php/pear/SOAP

Haven't started playing with it yet so I don't know how complete it is
but if I get any code working I'll stick it on the list.