[thelist] (Intel + Linux) vs (Sun + Solaris)

Matt Liotta mliotta at r337.com
Sat Apr 13 09:59:01 CDT 2002

First of all, I wouldn't put so many services on the same machine. It would
be much better to have your DB on a separate machine from your web server.

As far as reliability and performance, an Intel solution is going to out
perform a Sparc solution easily unless we are talking more than 8
processors. However, Sun hardware is generally more reliable than Intel
hardware. Solaris vs. Linux is really a none issue as both are just as
reliable and perform just as well for web serving. In other words, you
should go with Intel and Linux.

-Matt