[thelist] Flash Player 6 breaks swfs made on flash 5?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Apr 14 21:18:01 CDT 2002

At 10:34 AM +0930 4/15/02, Josh Earl wrote:
>flash they have made using Flash 5 was working fine on both development
>machines and client machines...that is, until the latest plugin was
>downloaded by the clients, at which point the movie falls over.

>This effect has been reproduced by one of our developers

Can you be more specific than "the movie falls over"? (I'm not being
a smart ass, instead "yes"  these problems do exist, and there's
things you can/can't do about them)

For the meantime, there's a new version of the 6 player: 6,0,23,0 ...
try it with that.

Here are some known issues regarding bad coding that would work in
the Flash 5 Player, but not Flash 6:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/releasenotes/player/rn_6.html

>Does anyone know of any applications that allow you to switch which versions
>of plugins are available to your browser?

You can do version detection within Flash and force someone to use
specific versions, but forcing someone to use an old version wouldn't
be a wise decision ...

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/