[thelist] hiding CSS

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Apr 15 01:12:01 CDT 2002

>OK, I've got to ask for an explaination. I'm loading my css like this:
><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foobar.css">
>
>Why do I need or when is it best to use?
><!--
>	@import "foobars.css";
>-->
>
>Why would you need both in the same page? Is this a case of me not
>looking at the older browsers? Just trying to understand this thread.

When a browser that understands _some_ CSS has a faulty
implementation or requires a different syntax, you have to either
redefine the styles or give different browsers different styles.

You can do this in some cases by having an @import further down the
page than your <link> tag, or near the bottom of your .css a @import
which redefines things (I think the latter is a sin in some
religions).

@import will work sometimes, but not all the time ... there is no
@import solution to the different problems IE 5.5 Win and Opera 6.01
has with:

    width: 100px;
    height: 100px;
    bottom: 200px;
    right: 40px;
    overflow: scroll;">stuff here stuff here stuff here stuff here
stuff here stuff here stuff here stuff here stuff here stuff here
stuff here stuff

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/