[thelist] hiding CSS

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Mon Apr 15 01:49:00 CDT 2002

 At 10:41 PM 04/14/2002, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
> >Oh, sorry, I didn't read the 'honours or ignores' bit: Yes, it *honours*
> >@import style sheet. As far as I know IE4.5 Mac does, too, but I'd have
> >test that.
>
> If you want to exclude IE4/PC from an imported style sheet, format the
> import this way:
>
> @import "stylesheet.css";
>
> Bill Mason
> Accessible Internet
> evolt at accessibleinter.net
> http://www.accessibleinter.net/

Thanks Bill and Peter-Paul for answering the question.
Bill, I know that that method will hide the stylesheet from IE4/PC and
N4/PC.
I'm looking for a method to hide the style from IE4/PC, N4/PC & IE4.5/Mac.

The page below tells me the @import url("name.css") will work for all
three.
http://pixels.pixelpark.com/~koch/hide_css_from_browsers/import/
Apparently they have it wrong.
NN4.x and MacIE4.5 don't honour it, but IE4/PC *does*.

So for now, I'll just use @import "name.css"; to hide the sheet from IE4
& NN4.x, and the tiny percentage of users wielding MacIE4.5 will
be presented with a mess.

cheers,

Duncan O'Neill