[thelist] hiding CSS

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Apr 15 10:18:01 CDT 2002

At 8:13 AM -0400 4/15/02, aardvark wrote:
>  > In these examples, there's no @import fix.
>
>yes, given that, i see where you are coming from... however, i don't rely on
>that kind of stuff working exactly the same between browsers, so i'm not
>automatically cutting out browsers just because of that stuff...

Right, right, right ... wacky stuff _doesn't_ work the same between
browsers - even between browsers that accept every syntax of @import
known to Man.

So the options becomes not using something because it's implemented
differently in some browsers (something that we all in this thread
agree is a bad idea, since we're attempting to fix it with @import),
or relying on JavaScript.

BTW, relying on JS for some styles does not preclude one from using
@import for others ... I've not done it ... but I have served a
stylesheet w/o JS, and on the same page used JS to serve the funky
stuff ... there's five stylesheets, and any given browser gets no
more than 2 - only one with JS turned off. Is there anything wrong
with that?

At 9:24 AM -0400 4/15/02, rudy wrote:
>please, i do not want to argue, and you did a good job of saying IF you
>were given that choice...
>
>... but that's silly, because those are not the only choices
>
>here's another one, and please don't be defensive, it's not aimed at you
>
>if given the choice between developing
>
>     1  styles that work smoothly in all browsers
>     2  styles that require weeks of fiddling around
>
>then i'd rather play with my kids or watch Win Ben Stein's Money

And At 8:13 AM -0400 4/15/02, aardvark responded:
>not quite my approach... i try not to create or use styles that will break a
>browser anyway, as opposed to unstyling it all...

Right, and I see where you're coming from from your perspective: you
don't _have to_ fiddle around with styles or use styles that you
_know_ are never going to work in some browsers. But I do, and I'm
confident in asserting that many other evolters do too.

So for those of us that get these admittedly wacky projects, we have
the option of doing some wacky stuff or loosing a client and letting
them find someone else to do their wacky stuff for them.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/