[thelist] ColdFusion, LDAP and Exchange 2000

Jeff Lucido jlucido at version4.com
Mon Apr 15 11:39:00 CDT 2002

Evolter's:

I am having trouble (i.e., nothing is working) trying to authenticate
users on an Intranet using ColdFusion to query LDAP on an Exchange 2000
server. I am not too sure this is the best method of user authentication
but it is a fairly strict requirement of our client.

What we are trying to do is to eliminate the need to keep a separate
list of usernames and passwords in our DB for authentication purposes to
the Intranet app. In addition, we must use the same password as the
user's network logon. In addition, the users currently change their
passwords every 30 days and therefore replication is not a solid
solution.

Our idea was to query/authenticate against the Exchange LDAP by passing
a username and password with a response of fail or pass in addition to
the groups the user is currently assigned to. We would then query our db
for the user groups returned so that we would know which permissions to
give them for the application.

So, the question I am posing is has anyone successfully queried the
Exchange LDAP for username, password and user group information using
ColdFusion. If so, is there any hints/tricks you could pass along?

As always, your (collective group reference) is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
-JSLucido