[thelist] visual designers list - perceptions of IA

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 16 22:11:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>

> In the vast majority of cases, the average web developer will
> handle these things themselves.

(please notice that I am referring to IA as Information Architecture, not
necessarily an Information Architect).

It's understandable if you're a one-man shop to do it all, or even a small
shop.  But (going back to my statement), you absolutely MUST partake in IA
activities if you are to build a successful application, web presence, etc.
Again, it can be a sitemap on a scrap of paper and a list of what is on each
page in a .txt doc, but if you skip this step, you're boxing yourself into a
knee-jerk reaction without sufficient planning.

When you create a database, do you just start creating tables and columns?
Or do you sit down and think about the information and how you need to
arrange it?

This is what I'm talking about.  Just sitting down and diagramming it.  You
dont necessarily have to show a beautiful deliverable to the client.  But
designing/developing a presence without IA is a terrible, terrible mistake.

David
www.confluentforms.com