[thelist] visual designers list - perceptions of IA

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 16 22:48:01 CDT 2002

> This is what I'm talking about.  Just sitting down and
> diagramming it.  You
> dont necessarily have to show a beautiful deliverable to the client.  But
> designing/developing a presence without IA is a terrible,
> terrible mistake.

I suspected that the originator of the post was looking for the opinion of
visual designers as a method of developing a marketing campaign or product
that would be of use to this group. (Basing this on previous calls for
review of resumé, looking for job opps on move to the US, etc. It may also
be for an IA book.)

I don't discount the value of IA. Hell, I have pages and pages of notes,
maps, everything all over my desk covering exactly that area.

My point, however, is that anyone looking for work in IA should understand
that SMEs and those catering to SMEs, in the majority of cases, do not have
room in their budgets for outsourced IA work. It will be kept in-house more
often than not.

For larger sites, it's even more important. I cannot really answer the
original questions as I consider my IA knowledge to be sufficient in
servicing all clients I have encountered. I can handle content maps, site
maps, persona work, page schematics, etc. When I hit something I'm not
familiar enough with on a project with a budget that warrants huge attention
to IA, I'll teach myself on a JIT basis.

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au