[thelist] shopping cart tutorial

kris burford [midtempo] kris at midtempo.net
Wed Apr 17 03:47:01 CDT 2002

>I'm looking for a good shopping cart tutorial.  My skills are HTML and
>Javascript, I'm getting the hang of PHP and I've got an extremely simple
>MySQL table for keeping track of voting, so anything using those skills
>would be best.
>
>If it's a shopping cart your after try this open source one over at
>http://www.oscommerce.com written in php and licensed under GPL.

i'll second the recommendation for oscommerce. i've been building a shop
using this for core functionality. it's not perfect as there are still
several bugs that need to be ironed out, and the additional functionality
is a little on the excessive side (it does multiple languages, currencies,
user submitted reviews, newsletters, address books...).

however, if you're looking for an exercise in pulling apart a moderately
well thought out (opensource) system, utilising mysql and php, you can't go
far wrong.

hth

regards

kris