[thelist] Scope document - need help writing one

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Wed Apr 17 11:57:01 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I usually write some scope information as a part of a detailed proposal. I
write out what pages will be on the site, and what content (briefly) those
pages will contain (and how they all link to each other) I explain to them
that it is important for them to make sure that that is exactly what they
want. In the contract it specifies that the outline of the site in the
proposal is what I'll build, anything more, costs more.

However, I'm having trouble with a number of my clients, not quite getting
it. They want whole new sections, pages, content management systems etc. at
no extra charge. Ha. Or they haven't really paid attention to the proposal
so that they haven't figured out how they'll pay for maintenance for a site
that is built to be updated every week. etc. etc. etc.

So how do I write out something that explains exactly what I'll build in the
site without it being so long, detailed and incomprehensible that they don't
read it? What do y'all put in a scope document, and how do you present the
info so people who aren't tech-savvy can understand it? And lastly, but
perhaps most importantly, how do I get them to pay attention to what I've
written?

I usually am dealing with very small companies or individual professionals,
so they don't have a huge marketing budget, or staff who are savvy about
this sort of thing.

Regards,
Tara

--