[thelist] Scope document - need help writing one

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Apr 17 12:59:01 CDT 2002

Tara Cleveland wrote:

> However, I'm having trouble with a number of my clients, not quite getting
> it. They want whole new sections, pages, content management systems etc. at
> no extra charge. Ha. Or they haven't really paid attention to the proposal
> so that they haven't figured out how they'll pay for maintenance for a site
> that is built to be updated every week. etc. etc. etc.
>
> So how do I write out something that explains exactly what I'll build in the
> site without it being so long, detailed and incomprehensible that they don't
> read it?

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say, so having some
kind of "visual" (even if it's text) map of the site might help:

  entry page -> products -> Type 1
                         -> Type 2
                         -> Type 3
             -> services
             -> about us

and so on. This leaves no doubt about the site's layout and page
quantity/distribution.

Re' the comment about maintenance -- when I talk to a new potential
client, I make a *very* big deal about content management from the
start.

How often will updates be done, by whom, and how? Where will the
starting content come from? Discuss that *first* before doing a
lick of work on the site.

Put it on the first page of your proposal, at the very top, under
"Client Responsibility". If you're delivering the scope online, use
<BLINK> tags, animated dancing dollar signs, and a Flash animation
of the Titanic going under to draw attention to that section. Well,
OK, however you think best. :-)

But direct their attention to /their/ involvement in the success of
this project. Keep them involved by making them review pages as the
sections are completed, and send 'em a copy of the site map with a
check mark by each finished page.

More work, fewer surprises.

YMMV!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --