[thelist] site check/critique request

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Fri Apr 19 03:15:01 CDT 2002

Message from Justin Klubnik (4/19/2002 01:13 AM)
>Hello fellow evolters,
>
>Quick Note:
>The site is designed for browsers that support CSS2 (IE 5+, Moz, Netscape
>6+), this is primarily because all the skinning/theming is done via CSS,
>allowing users to customize the interface via stylsheets. So, visiting the
>site in NS4 or Opera will result in a pile of goo.

Hi Justin,

I'd say you should not be so quick to suggest that any faulty rendering is
due to improper support in browsers. I say this because I tested the site
in three browsers (IE5.5, Moz.98, Opera6) and while some were worse than
others, there were layout issues in all three.

I could be wrong, but maybe it's your CSS that needs a bit of tweaking, as
the layout you're attempting doesn't seem that horribly impossible. No idea
what you meant by "allowing the user to customize the interface", maybe you
haven't added that bit yet, but I didn't see anything to that effect... ok,
to be honest I actually didn't look that hard, just clicked on 'customize',
glossed through, and clicked back button.

However, I'd say, before you get grandiose notions of user customisability,
make sure the default styles work properly first.

I personally think there's too much grey on the site. The styled grey
scrollbar is just overkill. I see headers displayed using grey backgrounds,
form buttons with grey backgrounds, grey text, and to top it all off, grey
SCROLLBAR too??? I think your using the same two shades of grey repeatedly
only make this worse.

The other issue I have is it looks just like icq.com's homepage. You know,
that site where absolutely *everything* you can do on the site is listed on
the front page? Sure, nothing is more than one click away, you say. But
finding *where* that one click is takes way too much focusing, scrolling,
squinting, reading, re-reading, scrolling some more... in other words, Effort.

Whitespace is your friend.

Oh, and black text on dark grey buttons (form buttons) is not really easy
to read, despite what others may have told you.

>Also (assuming the site does a decent job of explaining the what it does),

not really... clicked around a bit, read a bit, sorta emerged with a vague
idea and potential nightmares about life in monochrome

>do you find it useful?

not really... but then I still dunno exactly what the intended purpose
is... seems to be one of those things to give people with too much time on
their hands to keep them occupied

>I'm being intentionally vagueabout what the "service" is

ha!
like site, like site developer

Hope this isn't too harsh for you...
*shrugs*
Consider me a real 'pain in the... ankle'-type user

regards.
-marc