[thelist] What in the world....

Casey Crookston casey.crookston at imibevcore.com
Fri Apr 19 09:40:01 CDT 2002

Okay, I'm doing a real simple site for a friend... for free.  I've got
it set up in a very simple template style:

<!-- insert header -->
<!-- Insert content based on page -->
<!-- Insert footer -->

The headers and footers are the same across all pages.  Within the
header is the navigation, and there are a grand total of 4 links.  (Like
I said, simple site.)  The links look like this:  <a
href="default.asp?page=about"> etc etc.  It works just great on my
machine at home, but when I uploaded to my hosting company last night,
the weirdest  thing happens.  Check it out:

<<Keep in mind that the graphical work is NOT mine, thank you very
much...  >>

www.thecrookstons.com/rodney

The links do not come across as
http://www.thecrookstons.com/default.asp?page=about, but instead they
show up as http://www.thecrookstons.com/about.asp.

What the FREAK is that about?  I beat my head against my desk for almost
two hours last night.  Holy Frights.  This was supposed to be a brain
dead simple project.

This is the entire code for the default page:

<% Dim page
page=request.querystring("page")
if page="" then page = "home" %>

<!-- #include file="header.asp"-->

<% select case page

case "home" %>
<!-- #include file="home.asp"-->

<% case "about" %>
<!-- #include file="about.asp"-->

<% case "contact" %>
<!-- #include file="contact.asp"-->

<% case "order" %>
<!-- #include file="order.asp"-->

<% case "regions" %>
<!-- #include file="regions.asp"-->

<% end select %>

<!-- #include file="footer.asp"-->

In the header.asp file, there are a series of links that look like this

Etc....

Each of the content pages, about.asp, contact.asp, regions.asp, etc is
just simple HTML.  Nothing dynamic.  But like I say, when I upload the
site, these links show up as "about.asp" rather than
"default.asp?page=about"

HOW is this possible?  How could something so simple pull such a twisted
little trick? Any idea?

Casey