[thelist] SPAM: Playing our game instead of theirs.

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Fri Apr 19 17:42:01 CDT 2002

Nick,

RBL: Relay Blocking List

It blocks known open relays, usually used to send out spam. This way you
can block mail not only from domains or email addresses, but IP
addresses as well. 'Block the source, Luke'

More information:

http://www.ordb.org/faq/
http://www.selwerd.cx/xbl/
http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml
http://relays.osirusoft.com/
http://www.angelfire.com/co2/spamjamr/
http://spews.org/
http://www.spamhaus.org/

Some RBLs are open, others are for hire.

One way to get your domain on an RBL is be a sloppy admin and let your
boxes be used by spammers. But as they say in Germany, Stupidity doesn't
save you from the police. One way to stay on an RBL is to insult people
who run RBL's.

Spam blocking lists were mentioned on http://slashdot.org recently for
complaints by chinese and Korean diplomats that their emails were not
getting through. This is a side-effect of Top Level Domain blocking.
where a whole top level domain is cut off. example .hk for Honk Kong.

There is also some server side software that will help you. (yes
/dev/null is great, but why do the work when you can just link your mail
server to RBLs. eh?) Some of this software works by using white lists
where nothing except accepted email gets through, or black lists where
everything except listed email gets through. You could put
*@redconcepts.net on your blacklist (don't do that) to block all mail
from redconcepts.net, or on your whitelist, to make sure that all mail
from redconcepts.net gets through (recommended :-))

For your amusement: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990226

Like I mentioned before, since linking with several RBLs I have not
recieved any SPAM. So it isn't that big of an issue. I was just
wondering where I can go to learn more about hurting spammers.

If you are interested in learning more email me off list with questions
and I can ask our admin how he does it.

Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - Open Source, Public Service
http://www.redconcepts.net