[thelist] Virus Alert [OT]

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 22 13:54:02 CDT 2002

> From: "Karen J. Bowen" <karen at miinx.com.au>
[...]
> > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.h@m
> > m.html
> >
> > when you read which kind of attachments it produces - graphic ones
> > are possible too.
>
> This has really alarmed me - this virus can attach/embed itself within
> image files??
>
> Or is it only that it may pick an image file to send itself along
> with, but the virus itself is still an executable of some sort and
> will also be attached to the mail?
[...]

from the above URL:

'Worm randomly chooses a file from the machine to send along
with the worm to recipients. So files with the extensions: ".mp8" or
".txt" or ".htm" or ".html" or ".wab" or ".asp" or ".doc" or ".rtf" or
".xls" or ".jpg" or ".cpp" or ".pas" or ".mpg" or ".mpeg" or ".bak" or
".mp3" or ".pdf" would be attached to e-mail messages along with
the viral attachment.'

it then scans all sorts of files on your machine for email addresses,
and attaches a random media file...

the screencaps of the virus i've seen have a .bat, .pif, .scr, or
something else attached along with the .jpg...

the subjects that are most alarming are the "Undeliverable mail"
and the "Returned mail" subjects, as those can only serve to
confuse the situation more...