[thelist] To _blank or not to _blank

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Tue Apr 23 13:15:01 CDT 2002

Daniel Medley wrote:
> I'm curious, what is the consensus, if there is one, concerning opening a
> new window with links to off-site content? I've heard that it is not a good
> design method, generally speaking, however I know that I personally prefer
> it when I browse sites. I will almost always left click a link and then open
> the link in a new window so that I don't have to hit my back button to come
> back to my original destination. Based on this preference I'm making a site
> that uses _blank on all my off-site links on the opening page only (there
> are several).

Personally, I do the same thing you do.  Well, sort of - I middle-click
(in Moz this opens a new window), rather than having to access the
context menu.

That's why site authors setting target="_blank" really irritates me. If
I left-click on a link, it's because I *don't* want it to open in a new
window.  So if it *does* open in a new window, well...

--
Mark Gallagher