[thelist] To _blank or not to _blank

Bob Haroche bharoche at usa.net
Tue Apr 23 13:44:00 CDT 2002

> I'm curious, what is the consensus, if there is one, concerning
> opening a new window with links to off-site content?

Here's an alternative:

I'm working on a site where the client wanted external links to open in a
frameset on the client's domain, so that visitors wouldn't leave the site. I
tried to convince them how annoying and possibly illegal that action is, but
they wanted it.

I finally convinced them to accept a "dynamic frameset" which loads external
links into a frameset created on the fly, with a javascript option to remove
the frame.  Here it is in beta:

http://www.marinbar.org/members/resources/index.html
(click on a resource link to see how it works)

I got the Perl code for creating the dynamic frameset from A List Apart if
you're interested.

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s