[thelist] MySQL Import Data

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Apr 24 12:51:01 CDT 2002

Jay Blanchard wrote:

> I cannot find a way to open the file to insert the line (vi, emacs,
> pico, WORD, etc.) all choke on the file due to its size. Anyone have any
> insight as to what I might be able to do just short of running each
> individual table / dataset with mysqldump --tab option?

Seems like the options you describe should create the dump file
with the appropriate USE/CREATE statements, but to answer your Q
about editing a HUMONGOUS file --

If all the additional statements can go at the beginning, create a
text file with those statements. Then from a shell prompt

  prompt% cat additional.txt humonggousDBfile.txt > newfile.txt

and voila, they are combined.

Alternatively,

  prompt% cat humongousDBfile.txt >> additional.txt

appends (the ">>" rather than ">") the humongous* file to the other.

Remember, 'cat' is short for 'concatenate' ...

HTH,
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --