[thelist] help with logrotate...please

Jake Aust mail_lists at jakesdiner.com
Wed Apr 24 21:11:01 CDT 2002

I am having a heck of a time with logrotate on my Linux web server.

I am trying to get my logs to be renamed with the date added after they've
been rotated. Here is my logrotate.d/apache file

/home/virtual/lovejoyc/var/log/httpd/access_log {
    daily
    rotate 365
    missingok
    postrotate
        mv /home/virtual/lovejoyc/var/log/httpd/access_log.1.gz
/home/virtual/lovejoyc/var/log/httpd/access_log.`date '+%Y-%m-%d'`.gz
        /usr/bin/killall -HUP httpd
    endscript

It just doesn't rename my file. I end up with the same old format:
"access_log.1.gz"

It works on the command line, but not in the script. What am I doing wrong?

I want to have logfiles that look like this:

access_log.2002-04-24.gz
access_log.2002-04-25.gz
etc.

Jake Aust