[thelist] REFC Delimiter

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Thu Apr 25 07:19:00 CDT 2002

Hi Chris,

Just ran into this recently.  The fine folks here on the list gave me a hint to replace the "&" with "&".

Worked fine and validated, (I was only shooting for 4.01 Strict).

Could the semicolon at the end of "&" be the missing "refc delimiter"?

HTH,

RonL.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Joseph [mailto:Christopher at ideadesigners.com]

I am using PHP to dynamically output site information. The PHP passes
variables through the name space like so:

....index.php?option=contact&foo=6

I am trying to validate the page with W3C validator and it comes up trumps
except for 2 issues that occur for every dynamic href.

1. "Error:Unknown Entity 'foo'" --> Pointing to the amphersands in the
dynamic URLs
2. "Error:Reference not terminated by an refc delimiter" --> pointing to the
equals sign in the dynamic URLs.

I am validating for XHTML 1.0 Transitional. I think that the validator is
assuming that the '&foo' is an entity like '&amp' and that I am then
incorrectly terminating it (an entity should be terminated with ';')

SO.......how should my PHP produce URLs in order that my site validates OR
is this a bug in the W3C validator?