[thelist] Colors

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Thu Apr 25 09:06:01 CDT 2002

[snip last message]
<strong>take all the colors in the world...</strong>
[/snip]

[snip from earlier message]
take all the colors in the world, all varieties (Pantone, RGB, CMYK, etc.)
and put them on paper, or better yet a computer screen.
[/snip from earlier message]

[snip reply, which is still right according to the question]
216.
[/snip reply, which is still right according to the question]

[new material]
Computer monitors vary greatly in their ability to display colors. For web
display there are still 216 color considered to be safe as browser testing
has revealed that the majority of browser manufacturers will render these
colors properly in their browser. HOWEVER...your monitor, depending on type,
resolution, age, and any number of other factors may not render the colors
properly. Most people do not take the time to match GAMMA outputs or perform
even the most minor of adjustments on their monitor outputs. I have seen
properly adjusted monitors output millions of subtle shadings in a 3-D
situation (hence Toy Story and other features of its ilk), and I have seen
expensive, high resolution monitors output everything with a slight green
shade do to lack of adjustment.

There are millions of colors, with millions of shades. On a computer monitor
this number is greatly reduced from monitor to monitor. Then top it off by
the video card's ability to output the colors. Wanna' be safe for web work?
The answer is still 216.
[/new material]

Jay