[thelist] Why won't this page validate?

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Apr 25 11:17:00 CDT 2002

Brian,

> Why doesn't it pick up the other link that has the same target?  I thought
> the target attribute was valid for the strict doctype.

    No, it isn't. The easiest way to find out which elements and attributes
are supported by a particular HTML 4.01 doctype is to peruse the table of
elements [1] and table of attributes [2] in the HTML 4.01 reference,
referring particularly to the column labeled "DTD" ("L" signifying the
"loose", or Transitional, dtd; and "F" signifying the Frameset dtd; any row
that has a blank value for dtd is also available in the Strict dtd).

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/elements.html
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/attributes.html

James Aylard