[thelist] help with gfx problem

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Apr 27 06:49:00 CDT 2002

On Saturday, April 27, 2002, at 11:39  am, Nick Wilson wrote:

> I've been asked to add the 'gaudy yellow star' you can see on this site:
> www.telefonpasning.dk and have given it an index trasparency.
>
> If you look closely though it is not ideal, is this just the way it is
> or is there some way to make the edges just a little better?

Hi Nick

Your problem is that the edges are all anti-aliased to white - which
is fine for where you have a white background, but leaves a nasty
white halo when it's against a dark one.

Because it's not easy to predict exactly where the non-white background
will be, possibly your best bet is to leave the outside edges aliased
(ie jagged). This will then not leave halos against any background.

If you look closely at the curved edges in the black header of the
evolt site, you'll notice that's the approach there, so that you can
place it against a red-ish background:
http://lists.evolt.org/
or against a quite different green background:
http://directory.evolt.org/
or against a very different one:
http://roselli.org/new_evolt/layout/styles/home.asp?CSS=afistapart
http://members.evolt.org/mccreath/evolt/colorschemes/bluewhiteHome.html
http://members.evolt.org/martin/schemes/home.shtml?tangier
http://members.evolt.org/martin/schemes/home.shtml?deepsand
without having to cut new versions of the images just to handle the anti-
aliasing.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,