[thelist] copyright help

Viveka Weiley me at karmanaut.com
Sat Apr 27 19:52:01 CDT 2002

At 8:05 pm +0100 27/4/02, Liam Delahunty wrote:
>Jake Robinson wrote:
><Jake quote>
>Now, my question is, where do I stand on this matter? I am only 16 years
>old, so law is over my head, espcially when it comes to the intricacies of
>international law and copyrighting. I replied saying that I would stop use
>of the name. Before I do this though, I would like to find out where exactly
>I stand, and what information I should ask for, in-order for them to have
>substancial evidence that I am unable to use the name. I currently own
>bionicmonkey.co.uk, by the way. Any help which can be offered will be
>greatly appreciated.
>Thanks :)
>
></Jake>

He clearly has no right to your name, in this case. However, you've
said that you'd remove the site. This is not binding; you have no
contract with him, since he's offered you nothing in return for your
removal. There can be no contract without a "consideration" - in
other words without both parties getting something out of the deal.

However I would write back immediately letting him know that you're
withdrawing your offer to remove your site, after further analysis
and advice. An offer of a reciprocal link as suggested would be
polite, and more than this person deserves.

Regards,

V.
--
Viveka Weiley, Karmanaut.