[thelist] Including an address: www.highwaytrafficsupply.com

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Sun Apr 28 04:21:01 CDT 2002

At 10:03 PM Saturday 4/27/02, Cayley wrote:

>http://www.highwaytrafficsupply.com
>
>The owner does not feel the need to include their address in the about us
>page.  I have tried to explain the necessity of looking like a permanent
>business, not a shaky dot bomb.  Any usability studies out there that can
>back me up?

Usability has nothing to do with it, their failure to identify themselves
is dishonest and sticks out like a sore thumb on the site. They have been
in that business for 17 years and don't have any references to put on their
About Us page?? Give me a break. They've never sold to a government agency
(which would attest to their quality standards)?? No large construction
companies?? No, nothing but their unsubstantiated claim that they've been
in business since 1985. Do they have a warehouse facility, are they the
manufacturer? Looks to me that they are simply a drop-shipment order taker
for a real company. Is "Highway Traffic Supply" the name of the company or
just the domain name, is it INC or LLC or what?  No thanks, I'll stick with
my current supplier, a company with a warehouse, an address and a history,
a company that's listed in the Thomas Register and half a dozen highway
signage catalogs, not some uknown, and unknowable, dot bomb.

OK, that's the reaction from the consumer who's really been in his business
for 17 years and needs a real reason to quit using Acme Supply and go with
your client. Your client has to meet or beat his competition, and
everywhere that he doesn't bother to weigh in against the current supplier
is a point against him. "Do the math".

Plus, since we have no idea where this company is located, how do we know
tax is calculated correctly. And even if I'm in the same state, maybe I'm a
highway district and I'm exempt - no provision for that. Likewise, no
provision for Purchase Orders, not even a mention of it with a "Contact us
for application".

There, you want to beat'em up Cayley, go for it :-)

keith

cache at dowebscentral.com